It was the humble beginning of Goalpara College with 6 lecturers and 22 students on 8th of August, 1955, now transformed to a knowledge hub for higher education at UG and PG level. It was brought under the deficit grant-in-aid system in 1962. The science faculty was introduced in 1966 and was brought under the deficit grant-in-aid system in 1974. The UGC recognised this institution under 2(f) and 12(B) in the year 1965. Since then, both the Streams have been flourishing and attracting large number of students from various parts of the state and neighbouring states too. The College has been brought under the provisions of the Assam College Employees (Provincialisation) Act, 2005 since December, 2005. Along with the regular courses under Gauhati University and Assam Higher Secondary Education Council, the College also provides distance and open education under KKHSOU (Krishna Kanta Handique State Open University) and IDOL (Institute of Distance and Open Learning), Gauhati University.